What is my property zoned?
To determine your property’s zoning designation, click here to access Wake County’s iMAPs GIS. On the right hand side of the page, under Property Search, enter your street address and click the search button.  Once your property has been located, scroll to the bottom of the information box and under Services, open the drop down box for Planning. The zoning district should be listed under Wendell Zoning. For permitted uses in each zoning district, please refer to the table in Section 2.3 of the UDO.
Can my property be rezoned?
Yes, any individual may request for any property to be rezoned. The application is available here. Requests for a zoning change are reviewed by the Planning Board and Board of Commissioners for approval.
How can I find a quick summary table noting what is permitted, not permitted or permitted with a special use permit for each zoning district in town?
Please refer to the table  in Section 2.3 of the UDO that shows land uses that are permitted, permitted subject to additional standards, require a special use permit or that are not permitted in each zoning district in Wendell
Am I allowed to have a yard sale sign?
Yard sale, real estate, and special event signs are allowed from 4 p.m. on the Friday prior to the event until 7 p.m. the Sunday after the event. Signs are not permitted to be placed on any public signage, telephone pole, or within the public right-of-way.
When do I need a building permit?
A building permit is required when a new structure meets any one of the following conditions:

  • If the structure will exceed 144 square feet.
  • If any dimension of the structure is 12 feet or longer.
  • If the cost of the structure exceeds $5,000.
  • If the structure is an addition to an existing structure (i.e. decks, porches, etc.).
A link to the Wake County Building Permit Portal and building permit requirements can be found here. The price for individual permits is set by Wake County.
Do I need a business license to own, operate, or open a business in Wendell?
No. The Town of Wendell no longer requires or issues Business Licenses, however all new businesses need to submit a Commercial Zoning Compliance Application to the Planning Department. Application can be found here.
Do I have to get a permit to put up a sign at my business?

Yes. All signs in the Town require a permit. The sign permit application form can be found hereDepending on the size or type of sign, a building permit may also be required.

Can the Town print a map of my property?

Yes. The planning department does provide maps to citizens and non-citizens for a fee based on product cost and labor.

Does the Town have a Code Enforcement Policy?
Yes, the Town does perform code enforcement within the corporate limits of the Town and the ETJ. For more information on Code Enforcement please click here. The Code Enforcement officer is happy to assist with questions related to code enforcement. 
Is my property in a designated floodplain?
Information on floodplains in North Carolina can be found here.
How do I navigate the I-Maps online mapping service through Wake County?
Please see the following information on how to navigate i-MAPS Help Guide for your individual use. You may also contact us at (919) 365-4448 for questions or tips on how to use i-MAPS. 
How can I obtain a Downtown Facade Grant Program application and/or more information on the program?
The Downtown Facade Grant Program, as well as other Business Incentive Programs, are administered through Economic Development.